Monday, 23 May 2016

An Interview With Alice Oseman


It's with much excitement that I bring you an interview with the lovely and very talented author Alice Oseman. Alice is the author of two YA books, 'Solitaire' (which you might recognise from my review) and the more recent 'Radio Silence'. 


As I loved 'Solitaire' so much (I highly recommend reading it if you haven't already!) I can't wait to get my hands on 'Radio Silence' as soon as my exams are over. 

But before I get to that blissful time when exams are no more and I can get my very eager hands on a copy, I wanted to find out more about 'Radio Silence', so Alice kindly agreed to answer some questions about her new book and being a writer. Thanks so much, Alice!

*

Can you tell us a little about ‘Radio Silence’?

Radio Silence is the story of a group of teenagers all getting ready to go to university. The protagonist, Frances, is one of the top achievers of her year group and is hoping to get into Cambridge University. Everyone knows her as the 'smart girl', but in her private time, she prefers drawing and listening to a YouTube podcast called 'Universe City'. When she meets the creator of that podcast - a boy who lives on her street - she begins to question everything she thought she knew about herself.


Do you agree that writers should ‘write what they know’?

Nope, not at all. Writing is great because it's so free and open - you can literally write about anything you want.

What advice would you give your younger (writer) self?

Have fun. Don't give up. Your dream is achievable.

What inspired you to write ‘Radio Silence’? 

I was in a similar situation to Frances - I was a very high achiever, I thought I was destined for academia, and I cast aside my love for writing and art to do a highly academic degree that I ended up hating. I wanted to write a book that told young people they didn't have to make the mistake I did.

What's your writing process like?

I don't really have a writing process! I plan it a bit, and then I write it. That's about it!

Who is your favourite character from ‘Radio Silence’?

Jointly, Frances and Aled, my two leads. They're very special and complex and I loved writing about them.

What’s your favourite line and/or scene that you’ve written?

There's no way I can pin down a favourite line! Or a scene, to be honest, I love all the scenes I wrote! One that was particularly fun to write in Radio Silence was Aled's birthday party on the field.

What do you hope that readers take from ‘Radio Silence?’

You don't have to go to university if you don't want to, and on a broader scale, you should give your dreams a chance.

Do you have any plans for a future book?

Yes! Now that I've finally finished university, I'll be writing my third book this year.

*

Thanks again to Alice for taking the time to answer my questions! 

You can find out more about Alice and her books on her website, and you can purchase 'Radio Silence' from sites like The Book Depository, as well as all good bookshops.

No comments:

Post a Comment