Sunday, 27 September 2015

Illuminae by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff review!




Title: Illuminae
Authors: Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff
Publisher: Rock the Boat
Pages: 599
Genre: Sci-Fi, Fantasy, YA
Format: Hardback, Paperback
Source: an ARC in exchange for an honest review

This morning, Kady thought breaking up with Ezra was the hardest thing she’d have to do.

This afternoon, her planet was invaded.


The year is 2575, and two rival megacorporations are at war over a planet that’s little more than an ice-covered speck at the edge of the universe. Too bad nobody thought to warn the people living on it. With enemy fire raining down on them, Kady and Ezra—who are barely even talking to each other—are forced to fight their way onto an evacuating fleet, with an enemy warship in hot pursuit.

But their problems are just getting started. A deadly plague has broken out and is mutating, with terrifying results; the fleet's AI, which should be protecting them, may actually be their enemy; and nobody in charge will say what’s really going on. As Kady hacks into a tangled web of data to find the truth, it's clear only one person can help her bring it all to light: the ex-boyfriend she swore she'd never speak to again.

'Illuminae' is like no book I've ever read. It's sci-fi, fantasy, and action, with a killer plot - but it's also so much more. It has characters that you'll cry over again and again and again, and it has the most exciting, electric plot mixed with writing that'll make your heart beat so fast that it'll jump out of your chest.

It's so much awesome, all in one book. It had plot twists so shocking that they'll feel almost like a slap in the face, and you'll need a good while to digest them. The characters are well written, and while it's a very character driven story, the plot is the heartbeat, the lifeblood behind the cut-throat amazingness that it is. I don’t usually like sci-fi novels, just because I find them confusing, but this book is sci-fi in its beautiful, cutting simplicity. By that I mean that Kaufman and Kristoff have created a plot that isn't too complicated to stump you, but at the same time it has enough depth and complicity that it is just so gripping, that you'll be ripping through the pages to find out how it ends, and to find out what happens to the characters that you really, really care about.

The layout and the structure of the book will definitely mean it will become one of your fast favourites, as well. Written in emails, in logs, in surveillance footage transcripts, in black pages and single words, and so, so much more, it's a really refreshing and amazing way to read a book. It adds so much depth to the story, and the futuristic setting, and just makes it a great read overall.

Through the unique structure we read less than prose allows, but we also read so much more. It was a blast to read, and I was on the edge of my seat when I was reading every page, because I honestly didn't know what was coming next, in plot or visually, and I couldn't wait to see what would happen next.

The characters are just as well-written, too. You will become so close to Ezra and Kady that they'll be like friends, and by the end you'll cry and hope for them like they're family. I've never read a book that's made me this close to crying my eyes out. Ezra, and especially Kady, will become so dear to you, and will make parts of the plot so much more heartbreaking. But at the same time, I never thought, by the end of the book, that I would've ended up crying for characters that I pretty much hated at the beginning. (I won't spoil anything, but you will cry. A lot). Kaufman and Kristoff are that good at developing characters and plot! I was so blown away by 'Illuminae'.

I know I'm probably repeating myself, by saying over and over again how fantastic this book is - but I'm not just going on because I don't know what else to say. I'm literally lost for words, 'Illuminae' is that superb. It is, without a doubt, one of the best sci-fi books I've ever read. And this is definitely one of the best books that I've read this year so far. Everyone needs to read 'Illuminae', because it's a one of a kind, and you'll definitely regret it if you don't. Badass characters - particularly Kady, who is now a favourite character, a breakneck story, a unique structure and everything else about it just makes a truly wonderful book, that needs all the awards and praise and everyone to read it. It is just that good!

5/5
 ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

No comments:

Post a Comment