Pages

Saturday, 4 July 2015

'Code Red Lipstick' (Jessica Cole: Model Spy, #1) - Sarah Sky review!



Models, spies and lipstick gadgets... When Jessica's father, a former spy, vanishes mysteriously, Jessica takes matters into her own hands. She's not just a daddy's girl who's good at striking a pose; she's a trained spook who knows how to take on MI6 and beat them at their own game.

Title: Code Red Lipstick (Jessica Cole: Model Spy #1)
Author: Sarah Sky
Publisher: Scholastic
Pages: 336
Genre: Contemporary / Crime YA
Format: Paperback, ebook


This book had me gripped from the first few pages. This book is a double agent, even - what I thought would be a comforting, fun, read turned into a faced-paced roller-coaster that left me wide-eyed in shock and reeling by the end. 

Sky mixes fashion, modelling and action in a fantastic way - the juxtaposition of both worlds makes the book even more interesting, as you are swept from a photo shoot to a near-death situation in a matter of sentences. Both the modelling and spy world compliment each other perfectly - it's a mixture that makes the gadgets cooler, the danger more threatening and the plot more exciting.

 While this book isn't one that I would be drawn to in a bookshop - fashion isn't really my thing - I'm so glad that I had the opportunity to read this, and urge everyone to give it a chance too! The model element just enriches the action, and also offers some great pace after an action scene. I'm definitely going to pick up the sequels, because Jessica and her story are so intriguing that I can't not read on. I feel so ashamed that I would ever think about not picking up this book in a bookshop. I won't make the same mistake again! It just proves that you can't judge a book by a cover and you should read any and every book you can. Thanks so much to Faye and Scholastic for this opportunity and for opening my eyes, to that fact, and to a great series!

The mystery was amazing too - I was kept guessing until the last few pages, and even then the answer hit me like a punch to the gut. Sky writes in a way that leads you along, thinking you've got it - and then wonderfully delivers the truth in a way that leaves you wanting to read the whole book again, just so you can retrace all the hints you missed. The writing in general was also phenomenal, with believable characters that you root for all the way through, and a story with so many twists and action scenes that you're left gasping for breath yourself at the end of it. An easy read that will leave you hooked and desperately throwing money at the nearest book vendor for the sequels - this is definitely a fast favourite.

When I was around the age demographic of this series I read Alex Rider. Think of Jessica as his bad-ass, stylish, strong distant cousin. I wish I could've read this book and started this series at the same time, too - because not only are female spies the most empowering and important thing ever, but the book was so well written that I would have adored this just as much and it would've played a massive part of my life and self-esteem when growing up. Stuck for a present for a young teenager? (girl or boy, because fashion and spies don't discriminate!) read 'Code Red Lipstick'. Stuck for a new book? Please pick up 'Code Red Lipstick'. You absolutely won't regret it. 

4/5

                ❤️❤️❤️❤️
______________________________________________________________________

This post was written as a part of the Jessica Cole review tour! Thanks very much to everyone at Scholastic, Sarah Sky, and Faye Rogers for the opportunity.


Please check out all the posts involved in the tour, all on the blogs below!


No comments:

Post a Comment