Pages

Tuesday, 15 July 2014

The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom

The Five People You Meet in Heaven
Here's what it says on Amazon:

THE FIVE PEOPLE YOU MEET IN HEAVEN is a wonderfully moving fable that addresses the meaning of life, and life after death, in the poignant way that made TUESDAYS WITH MORRIE such an astonishing book. The novel's protagonist is an elderly amusement park maintenance worker named Eddie who, while operating a ride called the 'Free Fall', dies while trying to save a young girl who gets in the way of a falling cart that hurtles to earth. Eddie goes to heaven, where he meets five people who were unexpectedly instrumental in some way in his life. While each guide takes him through heaven, Eddie learns a little bit more about what his time on earth meant, what he was supposed to have learned, and what his true purpose on earth was. Throughout there are dramatic flashbacks where we see scenes from his troubled childhood, his years in the army in the Philippines jungle, and with his first and only love, his wife Marguerite. THE FIVE PEOPLE YOU MEET IN HEAVEN is the perfect book to follow TUESDAYS WITH MORRIE. Its compellingly affecting themes and lyrical writing will fascinate Mitch Albom's huge readership.

I really liked this book and the message it put across. It's a very positive book that everyone should read, because it'll definitely teach you something not only about yourself, life and how you live it and how to treat other people.

This book is written well. At points you almost become captivated by the lush language that Albom uses in places, it almost whisks you along the story at times. The story is also well thought out, and the realistic characters that Albom really flushes out really compliment this book and leave you thinking that this book is a real gem.

And I suppose that I do think that this book is a gem - in general, it is heart-warming, affirming and overall teaches you something extremely important about yourself and how important the people in your life are - even strangers. It also really reassures you with its ideas surrounding heaven and the afterlife. Even though it isn't rock-solid, I do really like to think that heaven is something like Albom described.

However, I'm not going to say that this book is completely perfect and great - there were points in the book that I was almost disgusted. I'm not going to say what they were because they do spoil the book, but I do think that there should be a warning placed on this book concerning younger readers and readers who are triggered by rape, as I caught so surprised by one part of the book that I felt quite sick after reading it. 

That said - the only other thing about this book that disappointed me about this book was a part of Eddie's life that made me quite uncomfortable (it all becomes clear at the end of the book). But, I can't really criticise it because it's clear that Albom has created some very real, well-rounded characters through that part of the story, Also, it wasn't really that bad - just very sad - which I suppose can also be interpreted as a good thing.

So overall this book was very good and should be read because it does have a good story and characters and can teach you a lot, although I wouldn't say it's a favourite book or anything - I am glad I read it once. I'd rate it 6 out of 10 because of the few things I didn't like about it - but I still think it is worth a read if you can get past the possible triggering part.


No comments:

Post a Comment