Pages

Sunday, 3 March 2013

The Hunt by Andrew Fukuda review!


Title of the book: The Hunt
Date published: The copy I have was first published in GB, sometime in 2012 (sorry I can't be more specific!)
Publisher: Simon and Schuster
Length of the book: 293 pages
Author of the book: Andrew Fukuda
Price: £6.99 (paperback)
Series: The Hunt
Follow-up: The Prey
Where I got the book: At a local Waterstones the other day. All Waterstones stores are doing a really cool offer £1 on two special books, this one included, at the moment for World Book Day! Check it out at your local store, as it really is amazing! Honestly, I'm so glad I had the opportunity to buy this book - thank you, Waterstones!
Genre: Thriller/Dystopian/YA.
Available on: Amazon (UK)Amazon (US) and at all good retailers! (Although I'd recommend buying it from Waterstones at the moment, if you can).



This is what the front cover looks like:




In my opinion, this is a good cover. In all honesty, it didn't grab my attention like most book covers do - but I think that's a good thing, in this case. For example, the colours are striking, but not overly bold. They blend in like the embers of a fire in the June sun. (Hehehe.. that's a reference to a passage in the book! Okay, sorry. I just liked that bit :D) and the colours themselves also really complement the pictures hidden in the title - I really like how they're there, hidden away. I didn't even notice the group of people hidden in the letter T, until today! That's the beauty of this book cover I think - it doesn't grab you, but lures you in, slowly but surely.. and then wham - you love it! Just like the book. :)
But yes, it's a really great cover - I'd rate it 8/10! :)


The book itself is set in an alternative universe where vampires reign supreme. All humans (or hepers, as they're now known) are more or less extinct, having been ravaged by the ever-blood hungry vampires long ago. All, that is, apart from a handful that are being studied at the world renown Heper Institute. 


They're not just being studied for fun, though. Something is coming - something that will change the life on the books main protagonist, Gene (a heper who has survived so far in this dangerous world by disguising himself as a vampire) forever.
An infamous government run Heper Hunt - were a lucky few vampires are chosen at ramdom to hunt, and devour, those hepers out in the wild.


But then when Gene is selected to be one of the hunters, he must not endure hiding himself in a place were he is in more danger than ever - especially as suspicions start to grow about who he really is, but also learn things that won't only change his life.. but everything he's ever known.


This book was amazing, to say the least. 
Although it seemed to start off slow for me, it also gripped me by the throat from the very start. The way it was written, the story, the characters.. everything about it, I just love. 


Usually, books like this don't usually grip me very much (I have no idea why; they're just never clicked with me).
But this book has really changed my perception on those books. This is a book that everyone has to read. It may be vampires, but it completely original to everything I have ever read that includes vampires, ever. 


It's wonderful! It's superbly well written, but really thrilling at the same time. There is a fine balance between the two, too. This book really does have everything. Andrew Fukuda is a fantastic author. He writes action with such clarity and pace that my heart is beating like a jack hammer after reading a few sentences. 


But not only that, Fukuda also writes everything else with such a beauty. Even the simplest sentences become the most amazing, glorious passages thanks to Fukuda's way with words. I was just at awe after every sentence, I really was. Fukuda not only seems to understand people and the human nature when he writes, but he made me gasp, cry, smile and feel every other emotion under the sun in three seconds flat. This book is not only original in the best way, but really is a beautiful book. I would quote every sentence from this book to you right now, if I could. I just can't stop singing it's praises, I know - I'm sorry. It was just that good!


Basically, this is the perfect book for everyone! I don't think I've had the honour of reading a better book than this one, during this year yet! It is the best, it really is. I'm really sorry that that isn't a very coherent review, but I'm just speechless after reading this, if I'm honest. It was that good, that inventive, that brilliant. Just please, whatever you are doing, order, buy, and read this book. Now. You really will not regret it! 


The only bad thing I can remember about this book is the giant cliffhangers at the end. Luckily there is going to be a trilogy of these books, though! I've never been so happy to find out a book has a sequel than read I read The Hunt. I literally sighed of relief! aha :)


The only thing now, though - is actually getting my hands on the sequel, The Prey. Hmm.. would Amazon send it me right now if I ordered it in the next few seconds? As that's now long I think I can wait. If I'm honest. Argh, Fukuda, why are you such a great writer?! :) Just kidding. But the sooner I can get my hands on The Prey, the better. Wow. Fukuda really can write! :)


My favourite character from this book is probably a tie between Ashley June and Gene himself. They are both such diverse characters, that I couldn't help falling in love with them both, at the same time. Fukuda writes all his characters with such diversity and he wrote them so real that I really love them all, (along with another particular soft spot for little Ben and Sissy) but I think Ashley June and Gene stand out a little more to me than the others. They're amazing. Ashley June is not just your usual pretty girl, and Gene is not your usual main character, either. I won't say much, because I don't want to spoil anything, but they're really well written and have so much depth. I can't wait to see how things play out with the both of them, either.


My favourite part of the book has to be all the cliff-hanger-y parts. I won't reveal them all, as, again - I don't want to spoil anything about anything for you all, but my favourites include the one when Ashley June reveals an aspect of her that I wouldn't have guessed was there in a million years, and the very end sentence of the book. Damn, I need that next book. I just can't stop rattling about how great this book, is, I know I'm sorry, but it really is all that great - and more. To be honest I can't really choose a favourite part of the book, as everything in this book is my favourite part. I just love it! It's got me out of my readers block with a passion, and it always takes an absolutely brilliant book to do that. I really do love this book - wow.


So basically this book is perfect for anyone who is a fan of the genre, young adult books, and everyone else just in the look for a great read! I highly recommend that you read this - really, stop what you're doing right now and read it, right now, please. You really would love it that much. Honestly. It's much better than you think it might be by a thousand and one, it's so much more than just its genre, honestly. Please read it! It's a fabulous book. :) It deserves so much recognition and is a real, real breath of fresh air. I'd recommend it to anyone! :)
I'd give this book an age rating of 13+ and a personal rating of 10/10.


Thanks for reading!


W-O-W xoxoxo


Sorry if there are any grammar mistakes, bad spelling etc. Please let me know in a comment so I can fix it! and comments & follows are hugs<3 This is all my opinion. Please no negative comments because of my opinion expressed in these reviews. Thank you! xoxoxo









No comments:

Post a Comment