Friday, 6 July 2012

A Sea of Stars - Kate Maryon review!

This is my twenty seventh review for the BBC! :)

Title of the book: A Sea of Stars
Date Published: 7th June 2012
Publisher: Harper Collins
Length of the book: 270 pages
Author of the book: Kate Maryon
Price: £6.99 (paperback)
Series: N/A
Follow up: N/A (As this is not part of a specific series)
Where I got this book: The amazingly lovely author sent me a copy after she used me, yes, me as a character in this book.. Yup, I am Chloe! Me! I am in this book! *endless happy sobbing* (Thanks so much again, Kate! Thank you, Thank you - Thank you!!! :D <3) However. I should note that this fact WILL NOT alter my review of this book in anyway - it will still be my honest opinion of this book. Thanks!
Genre: Children's (9 - 12)
Available on: Amazon (UK), Amazon (US) and at all good retailers! :)



This is the front cover of the book:




I really, really like this cover - Kate Maryon's covers are always super original - and this is no exception! The theme of this one is brilliant, too. I love the fact that it really fits in with the story of the book! Again, I also adore the fantastic doodle drawings that are always featured on Kate Maryon books - they just make the covers that extra bit special! Finally there is also the excellent silhouettes(you know how I love silhouettes!) So, yes, I really like this cover!




Firstly, I'd just like to explain how I actually got into this book in the first place. I'd just liked Kate Maryon's Facebook page and was browsing older posts when I saw one were Kate was asking for ideas for her new book - A Sea of Stars. So I wrote on her wall suggesting that she wrote a character in there that had a disability, explaining that I was disabled myself and I feel like there are far too little in books. To my extreme surprise, Kate kindly replied - saying it was a great idea, and to email her about my life and disability!! So Chloe is based on me - I am so honoured and grateful. I can't thank Kate enough, - a disabled character I can fully identify with (you have no idea how long I've waited for that moment), and I'm in an actual book!
It actually reduced me to tears - Thank you Kate, for everything. This book will always, always have a special place in my heart. Thank you!

The story itself is about young Maya, a girl who feels she has no freedom after the death of her 10 month old brother and nearly getting run over when she was younger. Her life used to be so much fun.. Her parents, especially her mom, used to be so care-free - but now the only thing in her life that gives her that free feeling is her favourite thing - surfing.
But suddenly her life changes yet again when her parents decide to adopt a young girl called Cat, and troubles start sweeping in like waves.
Will Maya wipe out, or will Cat and Maya ever become friends, let alone zabaloosh sisters? This is a story that will definitely have you reaching for tissues (and etch itself into your heart!)


My honest opinion of this book? It's fantastic, it really is. Throughout the whole time I was reading this book it felt like I was in my own little dream world - feeling and living everything right beside Maya and her family. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it because of this - I didn't want to get to the last page! The story itself was extremely gripping - I was hooked from the first sentence! I had to know how it would end.


Though some people can look at a book, see the age range and automatically assume that it won't be very good, are utterly and completely wrong.
The writing in this book was just as good as some YA books, it had the same brilliant, easy flow - I couldn't put it down.
Also Maryon writes with such beauty and mystery, like a fairytale, but at the same time you feel that the characters and what happens to them is so real - This book is her best yet, it really shows how many skills she has as an author.


I was very impressed with the phenomenal writing in this book and it really proves that Maryon is a extremely talented Children's author, however she is so sadly underrated. I hope that the absolute fabulous quality of everything in this book will get her the fans and recognition she deserves. The characters in this book are just so believable, I connected with each and every one of them - and it was like I had known them for years! Even the lesser featured characters or the ones that weren't the most lovable to being with!


My favourite character from this book would have to be Chloe. (Though it was actually a close call - I loved them all!) But Chloe just beat them to the post. No, not just because she is based on me, but because of the solid truth of everything she says. Every single quote she says in this book is absolutely beautiful - so much so that it actually brought me to tears at certain points.
Now that's when an author is wonderful. You can tell that Maryon cares about every single one of her characters and it really shows. Chloe is also extremely believable as a character and I wish I was more like her when I was 10 - she just radiates happiness and love, and that is why she is my favourite character - she's just the character that made me smile, no matter how I felt.





So if you'd like a heart-warming Children's book that will make you laugh, cry and most importantly think, then this is the book for you! If not - then I highly suggest that you read it anyway, it'll really make a positive effect on you after reading it.
I've already suggested it to all my friends, and they've all told me that they love it, too.
Please don't be put off by the age rating, that makes no difference to the quality of the story inside - none at all. If you have any doubts about reading this book, any at all. Squash them and go and read it, now!
I would give this book an age rating of 9+ and a personal rating of 10/10!! :)


Thanks for reading!


W-O-W xoxoxo


Sorry if there are any grammar mistakes, bad spelling ect. Please let me know in a comment so I can fix it! and comments & follows are hugs<3 This is all my opinion. Please no negative comments because of my opinion expressed in these reviews. Thank you! xoxoxo

2 comments:

  1. Hi Chloe, I'm SO touched by your wonderful review - my heart feels all soft and fuzzy. I'd so glad I got your character right - I've been biting my nails wondering if you'd like her or not. Thank you thank you for your gorgeous words, Love Love Love, Kate xxxx

    ps as far as grammer goes - the 'they're bodies' in the side bar quote should be 'their bodies' - I don't have a problem with it being how it is but as you asked for feedback I thought I'd let you know. Hugs xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kate, thank you so much for your kind words! It means a lot. :) She is much more than right - she is perfect! Thank you so, so, so, much for your lovely comment, Chloe and everything else. Lots of love, all the best, W-O-W xoxoxo
      PS. Okay, thank you for letting me know about it - I appreciate it. It's fixed now. :)
      Thanks again! xoxoxo

      Delete