Pages

Sunday, 29 July 2012

How to Keep a Boy as a Pet - Diane Messidoro review!

This is my thirtieth review for the BBC! :)


Title of the book: How to Keep a Boy as a Pet
Date published: 7th May 2012
Publisher: Electric Monkey

Length of the book: 338 pages
Author of the book: Diane Messidoro
Price: £6.99 (paperback)
Series: Circe Shaw? (Not sure on the official name, sorry!)
Follow-up: What Not to Do in the Dark
Where I got the book: I won a copy in a competition organised by the publisher! Thank you!  :)
Genre: Comedy/YA.
Available on: Amazon (UK), Amazon (US) and at all good retailers! :)


This is what the front cover looks like:




In my opinion this is a great cover. There is nothing that really gives the book away - which in some cases works well with certain books; and in my opinion works well with this one. I also just really want to say that the title on this book is beautiful. I adore the mixture of fonts, the colours and the small 'doodle' like pictures too. It's basically my dream title, aha! :) Also I really like the fact that the title is used in such an imaginative way - on the t-shirt of the boy model! I just find that really, really cool (I have one of those t-shirts, too - it's brilliant!) I just really like this cover. All the fonts used, all the colours and everything on this cover are just fantastic! I think that this is one of my favourite covers and I would rate it 9/10! :)


The book itself is about a young teenager called Circe Shaw - who has one mission while she is on her summer holidays: to get a boyfriend so she can spite the horrible Portia, the girl who makes her life hell and has stole the apple of her eye on the first day back at school.
But stuck with a blog she has no idea what to do with apart from try to make it interesting and for it to aid her dream of being a sophisticated journalist, two best friends who are deeply in love, a mom who spends most of her time with her two 'just friends' men, and a cat called Johnny Depp - Circe is at a loss.
That is.. until a surprise reader of her blog changes everything. Circe now knows what her blogs new hot topical is and how to get a boyfriend.
She must learn How to Keep a Boy as a Pet.

This book is a perfect example of the fact that books are always more than they seem. To be completely honest, when I first opened this book I was sure that it would just be a brilliant, kind of comedy relief that would get me into hysterics.
Don't get me wrong - it was, and was actually even funnier than I had ever anticipated (Not kidding in the slightest, at one point I nearly choked on my toast while reading it during breakfast one morning! aha).
But it was also something that is really rare in the funnier books. - It was a raw, emotional and really surprising read. This book deserves lots of awards, due to the reasons above, especially! :)


Not only that but usually when reading funnier books that features a female protagonist, they either focus on great jokes and comedic situations and a weaker plot or weaker jokes and a stronger plot. But not this book - this book had both of these qualities, and lots more. I laughed so hard that I cried - and I was left blown away by the quality of the story - I really wasn't expecting the book to twist and turn so much, I was in suspense on every page.
This book really is world class workmanship from Messidoro and I am so pleased that I've read it - it's really taught me a lot, actually!
I may even use some of the advice given in this book in the future. ;) This really isn't just a book for teenage girls - it's actually very educational and could definitely teach you a lot, as well as giving you a good laugh, or five!



My favourite character from this book would have to be Circe, of course! Her witty tone and easy-reading narrative had me hooked from the start. She is an extremely believe able character, at some points she even sounded like a few of my friends! (I also really liked her name, too - I love the fact that authors take that extra time out to thing of special and original names for their characters. It really impresses me and really shows that Messidoro does care for her characters!)
I also really connected with her, having lived in The Absolute Middle of Nowhere (though maybe not the one she lives in, which is a terrible shame).
I also just loved the fact that she has so much determination when talking about what she wants to do; it's really inspiring and I was really pleased by the fact that she is so feisty and stubborn - things that I've been described as in the past. I think that she is a perfect character that many people, young or old, will love - just like I did. Thank you so much to Diane for creating such a strong and practically perfect character! I loved her and can't wait to read the next book with her in it!

My favourite part of the book would have to be every time that Circe did a pet control experiment. I just found those parts of the book so well-written and I especially loved the originality and humour in each one, they had me laughing, and crying, and hoping sometimes too. They really added something special to the book and each one was presented really well too. I could picture Circe's blog in my head - they were written and presented that well! I just loved every single one.

So basically this book is great for teenagers, people who want to fall in love and everyone in between! It really is a truly wonderful piece of writing and I really can't wait until the sequel - Can I not read it now, please?
But, yes, I would recommend this book to anyone, it's a real breath of fresh air and really does deserve all the recognition it can get. It's really that great, honest! You definitely won't regret it if you do decide to read it. Trust me.
I'd give it an age rating of 13+ or mature readers and a personal rating of 9/10.


Thanks for reading!


W-O-W xoxoxo


Sorry if there are any grammar mistakes, bad spelling ectera. Please let me know in a comment so I can fix it! and comments & follows are hugs<3 This is all my opinion. Please no negative comments because of my opinion expressed in these reviews. Thank you! xoxoxo

2 comments:

  1. Just to let you know I've nominated you for the Versatile Blog Award
    Check it out here http://bookblogandstuff.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/the-versatile-blog-award.html
    Shakira

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aw thank you so much! :')
      All the best,
      W-O-W
      xoxoxo

      Delete