Sunday, 8 July 2012

Dear Dylan - Siobhan Curham review!

This is my twenty eighth review for the BBC! :)


Title of the book: Dear Dylan...
Date published: 2nd April 2012
Publisher: Electric Monkey Books
Length of the book: 302 pages
Author of the book: Siobhan Curham
Price: £6.99 (paperback)
Series: N/A
Follow-up: N/A (as not part of a specific series)
Where I got the book: My amazingly generous dad bought it me as a present after having teeth out at the dentist! Thanks Dad!! <3 :)
Genre: YA
Available on: Amazon (UK), Amazon (US) and at all good retailers!



This is the front cover of the book:




This was another cover that drew me into the book itself before I'd even read the blurb - the sheer simplicity yet elegance of it makes it one of my favourite book covers! The mixture of fonts on this cover makes both the title and the authors name really stand out, which is always great on covers. Furthermore the heart is gorgeous! I love the fact black background and them the soft multi-coloured effect! *swoons* This cover really impressed me - it's really professional, yet not enough to make it cold-looking. It just shows that big effects isn't everything to make an impact with a cover - I love it!


The book itself is about a teenage girl called Georgie Harris,  The summer holidays have just started for her and Georgie decides to e-mail her favourite soap star Dylan Curtland.
After he actually e-mails back (!!) this starts a string of more e-mails were Georgie reveals more and more about her life to 'Dylan' - her horrid step-dad Tone Deaf, Her show-off friend Jessica, how she can't wait to be an actress.. But after Dylan reveals something shocking to Georgie, will their new found e-mate relationship survive? And will Georgie survive all that this summer has to throw at her?

I found this book a real breath of fresh air. The whole idea and lay out of this book is really original. I had my doubts about reading a book that was set out in only e-mails, but Curham squashed them immediately - I was hooked from the first sentence. I'd wanted to read this book for a long, long time after reading so many good reviews about it and the fact that the blurb really drew me in - but it's much, much better than I ever thought it would be. Curham squeezes everything she can into each e-mail, making me never want to put the book down! I was really impressed - I actually enjoyed this book much more than some books that are set out the normal way. I was never one step ahead of the characters or story - The lay out always kept me in suspense! I think that the idea for Dear Dylan coupled with Curham's writing is the ideal feel-good book and I loved it.

Another great thing I found about this book was the plot itself - there were so many twists and turns I was never bored! I really had no idea what to expect with each new e-mail, it was fantastic! On the surface it just seemed like two people e-mailing each other about their lives, but in reality it is much more than that. This is a book about two people finding a person to confide in, and, at the same time - learning to love life again. I cried, I laughed, I cheered. I wished I had such a fab e-mate! But later on in the book as things started to take a more serious turn I started to fully grasp what a talented writer Curham is and how phenomenal this book really is. Normally in what seems like a light-hearted book like this, when something sinister - if it does- happens, you wouldn't really find it that believable either due to the genre of the book or the nature of the characters. But with Dear Dylan you connect with the characters easily but I guarantee that you will not expect the twists and emotions that they, and this book, will throw at you as a reader. So 5 stars to Curham for this!!

My favourite part from this book is.. All of it.
Really! I couldn't pick just one part.
The writing is wonderful throughout so each and every part of this book gave me the same exact feeling - Astonishment at the sheer class of this book. I wouldn't just skip to one part of this book - I'd read it all again!

I am close to saying the same about my favourite character from this book but one just keeps leaping out at me. The main character - Georgie. She is the perfect heroine for a book - a real fighter, but flawed at the same time. Not that she lets that stop her, oh no! She embraces her flaws (with a little help from her e-mate of course) and doesn't let anything stand in her way.
Also the commitment and how much she loves her mom, dad and little step-sister is heart-warming. She would go out of her way to do anything for them - even if it means losing something for herself and I found that really inspiring.
I also found Georgie to be the most realistic teenage girl that I've ever read about. I know that might sound strange - but it's true. She's a real heroine, but she's just as self-conscious and quirky as most of us. Phrases like 'frost-free' and others made me smile. It really shows that Curham puts heart into her characters and it really pays off. Because out of all the characters in the book - Georgie was the one I was cheering for the most.


So if you'd like a totally 'frost-free' book that will really earn it's place on your bookshelf just as much as in your heart - than this is the one for you! I really wish I could find out how the characters are doing now - this book has really made an impact on me and I'd love to read more about the characters one day. But until then Dear Dylan is the book to read - and Siobhan Curham is the author to watch. I'd recommend this book to anyone that needs cheering up or anyone that just needs a damn good read. Please, read this book. I'd give this book an age rating of 13+ or mature readers, and a personal rating of 9 and a half/10.

Thanks for reading!
W-O-W xoxoxo


Sorry if there are any grammar mistakes, bad spelling ect. Please let me know in a comment so I can fix it! and comments & follows are hugs<3 This is all my opinion. Please no negative comments because of my opinion expressed in these reviews. Thank you! xoxoxo

4 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for your lovely review of Dear Dylan, I cannot begin to tell you what it meant to me to read your words. I'm so pleased that you got so much from the book - you really have made my day!
    Siobhan x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Siobhan, absolutely no problem! I loved Dear Dylan so much but I still don't think that I've given it justice with my review. Thank you so much for writing such a brilliant book - I can't wait to read Findng Cherokee Brown and all the other books you release now - as you are definitely one of my favourite authors. Thanks so much for your lovely comment, I'm so glad you liked my review, thanks so much - you've made my day too! :)
      All the best,
      W-O-W xoxoxo

      Delete
  2. Wow chick I didn't realise your reviews were so long- how do you do so many? (as this is annonymous i will just say im the crazy one out of your best friends)But still- I never said that...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey :) I know - I think I might start making them shorter haha. The secret to that? Have no social life like meeee ;) haha :) Okay.. I have heard nothing.. :) Thanks for the comment - I'm following you now! <3 xoxo

      Delete