Pages

Monday, 18 June 2012

The Glimpse - Claire Merle review!

This is my twenty fifth review for the BBC! :)

Title of the book: The Glimpse
Date published: June 7th 2012
Publisher: Faber and Faber
Length of book: 411 pages
Author of the book: Claire Merle
Price: £7.99 (paperback)
Series: The Glimpse duet
Follow up: (Currently titled) The Fall
Where I got the book: My lovely dad bought it me. Thanks dad! :)
Genre: Dystopian, YA
Avaliable on: Amazon (UK), Amazon (US), and all good retailers!


This is the cover of the book:




The truth about what I thought of this cover? I love it. The simplicity of it actually works really well with this cover, and although you can't see it on the picture (apologies) the colours are really vibrant and eye-catching, the colour scheme is great too.
Attention to detail on this cover is also flawless. I love the font and how everything is set out, and the barbed wire surrounding the heart (which is beautiful, I might add) if you hold it in a certain light, shines gold. How fantastic is that?! So, yes. I really like this cover!

The story itself is set in the not distant future, and is about a young girl called Ana. Who lives in the privileged community with the Pures, who all live that way because they do not carry a mental illness, thanks to the results of a DNA test.
That is, until the fateful day were she discovers that she actually may carry a dormant mental illness, and that her father had altered her DNA test.
Her whole life upside down, she is allowed to stay in the community on one condition: Join with the rich Pure boy Jasper Taurell before your eighteenth birthday, or be cast out into the desolate and poor city with the other Crazies.
So when Jasper suddenly disappears under mysterious circumstances, Ana knows she has to get him back. But little does she know that setting out to find him will change everything.


To be be honest, I found it really hard to write this review..

I can't really think of much to say about this book. 
I'm speechless!
The Glimpse is one of the, if not the, favourite dysopian book I have ever read.
I loved the pace of this book.There was twist after turn, I couldn't put it down! At the end of every chapter there was something that kept me reading; it was brilliant. The book flowed really well, I couldn't put it down.

The characters were well written and really easy to familiarise with; even some of the bad ones. (Which never happens to me; this shows how much of a epic author Merle is).
And the boys! Never in my life was I so adamant who I wanted the main character to end up with. Though both boys are both fabulous in their own right, (I found Jasper really sweet, but perhaps a little to old fashioned for me). It's Cole, who Ana meets in the city, who stole my heart. I was really hoping that they'd get together. *no spoilers for you, though. Sorry!* I think they're even my favourite book couple. Yes, I love them that much! I can't wait for the sequel to see how everything between them plays out.

The plot was really original too, which was wonderful. I love seeing the new things that get thought up for the dysopian genre, and this book has one of my favourite plots. I could have never have thought of something like it; it's got so much depth too! The different layers to this story shows how much thought Merle has put into it. I really admire and respect her as an author, she really is talented and I can't wait for the sequel! There wasn't one cliffhanger as such; there were lots. I know the follow up will be fabulous. But if the sequel is more phenomenal than this book, I don't think the universe will be able to cope, to be honest. This book was just written so well, there were loose no plot points, (though this is part of a duet so there will be a few). So this book is fantastic, it really draws you in, and when you're hooked, you're hooked. :)


My favourite character from this book would have to be Ana. She's just so badass, and yet really broken, which I really liked. Not the fact that she is broken, but the fact that you can see that more vunerable side of her; even though she is the main character, and they are usually flawless, so that really impressed me.
Another thing I really liked about her was the fact that she was blonde! No real reason about this one, but I think that you never really see any kickass female characters that are blonde in books!
So I really like Ana; she is witty, flawed but strong, and I just love her character in general. I wish she were real, I know we'd be friends.
So hats off to Merle for this excellent character!

So if you'd like a book that is dysopian YA at it's best; thriller, mystery, romance. Everything you'd really wish for, then what are you waiting for?! go and read this book. You will definitely not regret it! I highly recommend it and have already done to all my friends. Seriously! I cannot recommend it enough. If you even just read this review and think 'boy, I might read this. It sounds good!' Go and read it. NOW. This book won't just make you think - it'll make you never stop.
If you like this genre of book, or it even sounds that little bit interesting - please read it! You'll enjoy it!
I would give it an age rating of 13+ or mature readers, and a personal rating of 9/10.

Thanks for reading!
W-O-W xoxoxo
Sorry if there are any grammar mistakes, bad spelling ect. Please let me know in a comment so I can fix it! and comments & follows are hugs<3 This is all my opinion. Please no negative comments because of my opinion expressed in these reviews. Thank you! xoxoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment