Pages

Wednesday, 2 May 2012

Girl, Missing by Sophie McKenzie review!

This is my twenty-second review for the BBC! :)

This book is another book I had to read for the book quiz, and is, again, a fabulous book! I hope you like my review.




In my opinion, to be absolutely honest, this isn't my favourite book cover in the world. Not that I absolutely hate it and think it is a terrible cover - quite the contrary, it just doesn't appeal to me very much. It is still a fantastic cover, very memorable, the colours scheme is great and I love the silhouette in the water drops! Just because it isn't really my cup of tea doesn't mean that it is still  perfect and appeals to many other readers. It is still a fantastic cover.

The story itself is about Lauren Mathews, a young teenager who was adopted when she was a child. Her parents refusing to tell her anything about her birth-mother and due to a annoying school project - Lauren turns to the Internet to see if she can discover anything there.
And after jokingly typing in her birth month and name into a missing children's site, she discovers something that will change her life forever.
A girl who went missing a few months before she was adopted - and whose face has startling similarities to hers.
Could she be the girl? Even though that she went missing in America and Lauren is British? And could her parents really have stolen her from her birth family?
As she sets out with her best friend to find answers she also sets out on the adventure of her life, but will she survive?
Girl, Missing is a refreshing and original novel that will make your heart race and is one you will not want to miss.


To be absolutely truthful I adored this book - the plot was really original and so fast-paced - I really wish I'd of thought of it (though I wouldn't have written it as half as brilliantly as she did). I couldn't put it down and finished it in a couple of hours! This book really showed me how talented McKenzie really is. The book is full of twists and turns and will make you gasp, cry and smile. It really is fantstic.

Another thing I really liked about this book is that it is a magical, thrilling novel, and yet it is still one that teenagers, and people alike, will be able to connect with. Many people feel like they don't belong anywhere, wheither it be in their family or here on this planet, much like I felt Lauren felt like at the beginning and at some (no spoilers!) points in this book. And not only this, but the way that Lauren ultimately finds her way home, this book gives a strong message to all people who feels alone or missing in the world: No matter had bad things may seem right now, things will get better, (and sometimes in ways you may not expect!<3) Which I feel is a very excellent thing to tell people today and this, and the novel, has really made me respect McKenzie as a author and I will definitely try to read more of her work.

My favourite character from this book would have to be Lauren. Not only is she an extremely likeable character (at some points I wished like she were real). But she is also a character that seems very realistic. Try and imagine how you would react? Probably much like Lauren did in this novel - The truth is - when normal people suddenly find themselves in life changing and daunting situations they do not use gadgets, or be really heroic, they would run away, and try to solve it themselves, without thinking, like Lauren did. And that is why I think she is my favourite character, because she is stubborn and well-written by McKenzie and normal. She could be a normal teenager walking down the street - which is really refreshing, because sometimes you can get sick of the extraordinary., and it is nice, once in a while, to read about someone just like you.

So if you are looking for a majestic and thrilling YA novel full of twists, turns, and a plot and characters that could not be faulted - then this is the book for you! It is really thought-out and written superbly. I have already recommended it to my friends. You reall are missing out if you have not read this, and I will try my hardest to read more of McKenzie's work as this book has shown me that she is a 5 star writer (I really wish that I had discovered her earier!)
I would give this novel an age rating of 13+ or mature readers and a personal rating of 8/10.

Thanks for reading!
W-O-W xoxoxo
Sorry if there are any grammar mistakes, bad spelling ect. Please let me know in a comment so I can fix it! and comments & follows are hugs<3 This is all my opinion. Please no negative comments because of my opinion expressed in these reviews. Thank you! xoxoxo




No comments:

Post a Comment