Sunday, 1 April 2012

The Crazy things Girls do for Love - Dyan Sheldon review!

This is my seventeenth review for the BBC! :)

*Even though Dyan Sheldon was born in America - this and most of her books were published in Britain, so qualifies for the British Book Challenge!*

This is a book a read in preparation for my local book awards - where I had the privilege to meet the author herself! So, Dyan, if you are reading this (which I very highly doubt) it was fantastic meeting you there (I was the girl in the wheelchair who came up to you at the beginning - you said I had a kind face<3) and thank you for the sweet message you wrote in my book and for signing it, also, the talk you gave was absolutely brilliant! So, thanks again!
Here is my review of the book.

This is what the front cover of the book looks like:


In my opinion I think this the best cover you could ever pick for this book - even though it does swing a little towards girls, though after all, it is a girls novel, I really like it. The colours are simple as there are not many, yet they are very eye catching. Also I love the mixture of fonts that are used this cover. It really adds something special to the cover - something unique, even. The paper and small stars on this cover are a real nice touch as well. Especially the paper gives a real eco, green feel to the book which is wonderful and really works. The doodle of the girl is also fabulous, especially the way (though of course you can't tell here) that the drawing is kind of etched into the cover, which, again, gives the cover a very unique feel. So, yes, this is a magical cover which seems to have had lots of thought put into it, which is great.

The story itself is told through three female teens, but very different characters - Sicilee, the most popular girl in school who wouldn't be seen dead wearing the same thing twice or walking anywhere. Maya - The practicing vegetarian and vintage clothes lover. And Waneeda - the girl who hates vegetables and would never join anything like the Environmental Club - for one thing, it's as unpopular as her!
Three very different girls with one big thing in common - they all have a crush on the new mysterious Environmental Club member, all around Eco-warrior and total hottie Cody Lightfoot. Caught up in the whirlpool of love, they will do anything to make him theirs.. Even.. become Green.
But, as they will soon find out, it isn't easy, but it is one hell of a ride.

It is very safe to say that I really liked this book: I wasn't sure I would, to be honest, as ChickLit isn't really my usual reading preference - but as soon as I had read the first chapter I was hooked. The way Sheldon writes is amazing, I usually don't like books that flit through different characters points of view throughout the book, but she really pulled it off. There were absolutely no plot holes or anything that left me wondering at the end - everything was tied up really well, and with a real satisfying ending. If it's anything I like in a book - it is, when appropriate, everything tied up and with a really satisfying ending to boot. That is what really made me respect Sheldon as an author and made me love the book even more.

Another thing that really impressed me is that Sheldon being able to make Green cool - don't get me wrong, I have been a vegetarian, so I definitely think being Green is cool! But I mean for people like Sicilee, Maya and Waneeda who know a little about being Green, but have never really though about it - just excepting it for what it is. So that is fabulous and also really put a smile on my face - it's also nice to read about something that hasn't really been really covered in a book yet (as their aren't many fiction books that are about being Green out there) and I hope it has converted many people to become veggies or vegans as well! (Trust me - the food is amazing and nothing has to die for it!) So this is another reason Sheldon really impressed me as a author - not only is it a really original story concept, with believable characters and one written really well, but it is also one with a real positive message behind it - so absolutely excellent and five stars to Sheldon for that.

My favourite character from the novel has to be Waneeda - not only is she very much like me in parts, I also really admire the way that she takes matters in her own hands to try and save some 500 year old trees from being tore down, and when she decided to become a vegetarian. She also seems like a more realistic thinker than the other two characters, especially when dealing with her crush on Cody, which is why I am drawn to her as a character, this may be because of how realistic she seems ( - thanks to Sheldon's writing) and I really do wish she were real and lived in Britain - I really do feel we would become good friends. I have read in a few reviews that they feel that Waneeda feels much of a 'afterthought' of a character by Sheldon, which is completely untrue. She is probably the most believable, and in my opinion, likable character, and yes, her chapters may be a little shorter than the others - but that does not make her less of a character, any character is important, no matter their status, or play, in the story, after all, they wouldn't be in the story if they weren't important, would they? and Waneeda is definitely a important character, to me, at least.

So if you would like a slightly ChickLit teen coming of age book with a Eco twist, then this is the book for you! I could not recommend it enough to fans of Sheldon's works or anyone who finds it interesting. Go on, read it! You will not be disappointed, I assure you. I would give it a age rating of 12+ and a personal rating of 9/10.


Thanks for reading!
W-O-W xoxoxo
Sorry if there are any grammar mistakes, bad spelling ect. Please let me know in a comment so I can fix it! and comments & follows are hugs<3 This is all my opinion. Please no negative comments because of my opinion expressed in these reviews. Thankyou! xoxox

No comments:

Post a Comment