Pages

Thursday, 1 March 2012

The Baker Street Boys: The Case of the Captive Clairvoyant - Anthony Read review!

This is my twelfth review for the BBC! :)

The Case of the Captive Clairvoyant is the second book in The Baker Street Boys series by Anthony Read

You have all probably know by now that I am a huge fan of the Sherlock Holmes stories and its spin-offs. The book I am reviewing today is a part of a spin-off series, the book and series was shown to me by my sister in the library (Thanks sis!) and after discovering what it was about, I couldn't wait to read it! I hope you like the review.

This is what the front cover of the book looks like:



Now I think that this is a brilliant cover for the book, it has a very Sherlock Holmes feel to it, which is great, but at the same time it seems to be completely different and unique. I love the illustrations on it, too. They are extremely well detailed and the colour scheme sets it off nicely, the colours also work really well, giving off a sense of mystery but at the same time it compels you to read the story, which is great. So all in all I think it is a fantastic cover for this book.

The story itself is about The Baker Street Boys, or The Baker Street Irregulars as Mr Sherlock Holmes calls them. They don't know why they are called The Baker Street Boys, as three of them are girls! But that is what they call themselves. They are made up of street urchins, living in their HQ in Baker Street, solving crimes with Mr Holmes. And sometimes even without him..

Sparrow, one of the Boys, is overjoyed at having just gotten his job back at the Imperial Music Hall after Dr. Watson's insisting. That is, until he spots Mary, the young Clairvoyant who is one part of a sensational hypnotist double act with her step-father, Mystic Marvin. But is he all that he seems? Soon there is a shocking murder, and with Sherlock Holmes and Doctor Watson away in Dartmoor, its left to The Baker Street Boys to unravel their most dangerous mystery yet...

I think that this book is a marvellous addition to the Sherlock Holmes franchise. Even though it is quite a short book (only 159 pages long) It is written really well by Read, and even includes welcomed appearances from Lestrade, a well-known evil villain (no spoilers! but I bet you can guess) and even the man himself, Mr Sherlock Holmes.

It was also a very intriguing mystery, to say the book was quite short, I was pleasantly surprised by the way that the plot kept me guessing all the way to the last page, Read certainly knows how to write a mystery, even if it is one solved by street urchins! I also loved the little twist at the end of the book, how the mystery went a little deeper than the reader first thinks, that was really good way finish off a great mystery story, I think.

Not that they are your average street urchins! They were extremely believable characters and lovable ones as well. My favourite of all of the Boys has to be Wiggins, not only is he the leader, and a great one at that, but he is also an amazing detective, almost worthy of Sherlock Holmes himself. (I also found the fact that he had his own deerstalker and pipe adorable!) But with a cast of such vibrant and believable characters, even the bad ones! It is quite hard to chose your favourite, which just shows how great an author Read is.

I think its also great that you can read more about the Baker Street Irregulars! I always loved them in the original stories and I was a little disappointed when you never really find out much about them, so this was the perfect book for me! If you, like me, have always wondered the group of street urchins manage to survive in Victorian London and go around solving crimes, then this is the perfect book for you! 5 stars for Read for letting me know more about these tremendous characters!

To be honest I was really, really impressed by this book, and may even read the rest of the series! If you are a fan of Sherlock Holmes this would be a very interesting read, I also think it would be great for younger readers, so if you know any younger relatives or anyone younger who would like to or does like to read mystery books and or Sherlock Holmes books, this would be a great book to recommend to them. I am sure they will enjoy it, just as I did. I would give it an age rating of 10+ and a personal rating of 7/10.

Thanks for reading!
W-O-W xoxoxo
Sorry if there are any grammar mistakes, bad spelling e.c.t. Please let me know in a comment so I can fix it! and comments & follows are hugs<3 This is all my opinion. Please no negative comments because of my opinion expressed in these reviews. Thankyou! xoxoxo

1 comment:

  1. Hi Chloe, i am Kokila from http://sunshineandblueclouds.blogspot.in/
    I am glad that I stumbled upon your blog and found this review.. I liked this post and am going to check out the rest of your space :)

    ReplyDelete