Wednesday, 1 February 2012

Molly Moon's Incredible Book of Hypnotism - Georgia Byng review!

This is is my eighth review for the BBC! :)

Molly Moon's incredible book of Ypnotism - oops, sorry, Hypnotism, (you'll get that if you've read the book! ..sorry) is the first book in the 5 book Molly Moon series by Georgia Byng.

It is also a book I have wanted to read for a long time, but I've never found it in its book form, only as a audiobook (I don't really like to listen to audiobooks before I read the book as I don't like the fact that some cut large chunks of the story out that was in the book, but I won't go into that now.)

So I finally found it in its paperback book form the other day and have extremely enjoyed reading it - way more than I thought I would, actually!

This is what the front cover of the book looks like:

Now I think this is a perfect cover for this book! I know you can't see it on here but the silver swirls in the background are actually shiny so it gives a great feel for the story inside. I also love the touch of hypnotised Petula (the Pug) on the front too - always makes me smile!

The book itself is about 10 year old Molly Moon, a orphan living under the care of the absolutely horrid Miss Adderstone in the Hardwick House Orphanage in Briersvile, England. With the added terrors of the terrible and bad tempered cook Edna, and the evil Hazil Hackersly and her cronies making her life hell anyway they can, Molly doesn't exactly enjoy living there. The only exceptions to this is her best friend Rocky Scarlet, the lovely widow from town Ms. Trinklebury who comes in to clean and the younger orphans: Ruby, Gerry, Jinx and Gemma.

During a particularly bad day, and having an argument with Rocky, Molly escapes to the only place she can feel relaxed: the library.
Its there that she finds a book that will change everything. A book on Hypnotism, a book that is wanted by Professor Nockman from America, a man that isn't all that he seems.

Then discovering that Rocky has been adopted by a family in New York, and  that he left without saying goodbye to her, Molly vows to go and see him. But how? With her trusty and magical book and the newly-hypnotised Petula the Pug in tow,  Molly sets off on the adventure of a lifetime.

I will start off by saying that this is a absolutely amazing book, all characters are extremely realistic and you start to love (or hate) them immediately. Molly is a great heroine too, a extremely likable girl and very ordinary too, which is great!

I also loved the hypnotism parts of the book too, they made me really jealous of Molly, the fact that I couldn't do it myself especially! (The book was so well written that I tried to hypnotise my dog; hasn't worked yet but I'm not giving up hope! Look out America!) I also loved the parts were Molly actually hypnotised people/animals, they were so believable it was amazing!

The best thing about this book though, without a doubt,  was the plot.
Wow. It was very touching and extremely well thought out. I applaud Byng for making it so, well, brilliant!
I really loved the ending, too! (I'm not going to spoil it for you though, go and read the book!)

I strongly recommend you read this book. I think its about 9+ and I'd rate it it 9/10. Byng is a great author and I may well be reviewing more books from her in the future!

Thanks for reading!
W-O-W xoxoxo
Sorry if there are any grammar mistakes, bad spelling e.c.t. Please let me know in a comment so I can fix it! and comments & follows are hugs<3 This is all my opinion. Please no negative comments because of my opinion expressed in these reviews. Thankyou! xoxoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment