Saturday, 11 February 2012

The Hobbit - J R R Tolkien review!

*Hi everyone, sorry this review took a little longer than normal! But I hope you enjoy it anyway!*
This is my ninth review for the BBC! :)

The Hobbit is the prequel to the Lord of the Rings series by J R R Tolkien.

Now this is definitely a book I have always needed to read, but never thought, or truthfully, knew about until very recently. (I feel like such a idiot now!) I had, of course, heard of the Lord of the Rings series, and this review was supposed to be of the first Lord of the Rings book when it had arrived in the library.  It wasn't actually until I watched the trailer for The Hobbit: an unexpected journey film (of which I will absolutely watch after reading the book!) that I discovered that there was a prequel! But thank goodness I did find out about it, so here is my review.

This is what the front cover of the book looks like:




Now I love this cover, I think it is absolutely beautiful and is drawn superbly. The colours are also fantastic - simple, but not bland in the slightest. Also the fact that Tolkien actually drew this cover himself (and all the other outstanding illustrations in the book too!) Just adds the the majesty and mystery that this book rightly holds. It is very safe to say that I adore this cover.

The book itself is about a hobbit. ('A hobbit?!' 'What's a hobbit?' you might ask. Well, a hobbit is in fact, very much like us now. Well, obviously not the fact that they have long, neatly brushed brown hairs that grow on their feet which means that they don't have to wear shoes, or the fact that they can walk almost without sound. No. They are like us now in the fact that they are very homely people. Unlike the dwarves and other such folk that go off on adventures there and back again, hobbits like to stay and home and revel in the adventures that their homes, hobbit-homes hold.) The hobbit in question is a very kind and ordinary hobbit called Bilbo Baggins, who very much enjoys living in his hobbit-hole in Bag-End, Underhill, Hobbiton, and thinks that adventures are very much not his thing at all.

That is, until the famous wizard Gandalf, who Bilbo remembers vaguely as a child - returns after many years on such adventures. But Gandalf isn't here for tea, or cakes, or a good morning of any intention. He is in fact looking for someone to take on an adventure - and that hobbit, is Bilbo.
So after a mysterious message being written on Bilbo's hobbit-home door, thirteen dwarves suddenly turn up on Bilbo's doorstep! One of which being Thorin Oakenshield, son of Thráin, son of Thrór, King Under the Mountain. They, also are not here for tea - they are here for the help of the apparent 'burgler' Bilbo. Sadly, the help they require is not for something simple either - it is to retrieve the stolen gold and goods of Thorin's ancestors, having being stolen, hidden, and heavily guarded by the evil and extremely feared and dangerous, Smaug.
Is Bilbo up to the challenge? and more importantly, will he even survive? One thing is for sure: This adventure, full of elves, goblins, dragons and other mystical characters, will change his life, and many others, forever.

This is an absolutely wonderful, magical and influential book. Most characters (apart from the obvious) are extremely likable and you start to care for them all immediately. (Though you do actually hold the evil ones in a strange kind of regard, which made me respect Tolkien as an author even more than I already did, after all, it isn't often that you read a book and you actually respect, or in some ways have a strange connection with the bad characters!) My favourite character, however, would have to be Bilbo Baggins. You connect with him immediately. He is such a lovable little hero too! Also the way he develops as a character throughout the journey of the story is wonderful. I especially loved chapter 5, Riddles in the Dark, not only does Bilbo acquire something that is vital to the plot and really comes into his own, it also is full of great riddles that I loved the solve! It also introduces my second favourite characters, and probably one of the most iconic for the LOTR series. He really is precious. (hint, hint.)

Tolkien is also a absolutely magnificent author. He talks in the most, simple, yet inspiring riddles and some of his magical words and beautiful sayings will be with me forever. I cannot believe I had not thought to read more of his work sooner! He has such a rich and unique way of writing and describing - you feel that you have fallen into a brilliant dream that you never want to escape from. I was hooked on this tremendous story by the time I had read the first page, I would recommend this book to anyone, it is the most uplifting story I think I have read so far. The mans imagination has no boundaries and you can sense that when reading. Absolutely brilliant author and book.

I can't really choose my favourite thing about this book - its too difficult a challenge! But as I said above, I adore chapter 5, and Tolkien's writing is out of this world. Due to the latter reason, I will definitely try my very hardest to review the rest of the Lord of the Rings series, so be on the lookout.

I will give this book 9/10 and would recommend it to absolutely anyone. You are missing out if you haven't already read it! I'd say it was about 10+.

Thanks for reading!
W-O-W xoxoxo
Sorry if there are any grammar mistakes, bad spelling e.c.t. Please let me know in a comment so I can fix it! and comments & follows are hugs<3 This is all my opinion. Please no negative comments because of my opinion expressed in these reviews. Thankyou! xoxoxo

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping by and following me! You have a great blog! Lord of the Rings is one of favourite books. I am planning to read Hobbit soon. Your review is tempting me to pick the book sooner. Happy reading! I am following you too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just want to let you know, that I think your blogs are superbly written, and you very good (I think) at making the reader want to read the book your talking about. Keep up the good work. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. nicely done, following your blog now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hiya! Thanks for the stop over and follow. I am a new follower:) Great blog! I must admit I have never read The Hobbit or anything by Tolkien, I might take up the challenge for the BBC!

    Can't wait to read more!:)

    http://unpublishedworksofme.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete