Pages

Sunday, 8 January 2012

Skellig - David Almond review!

This is my fourth review for the BBC! :)

If you have read a earlier review of mine you will already know that I decided to read Skellig after finishing the superb prequel My Name is Mina. (If you would like to see the review of that book, please click here!)
So here is what I think of it.

This is what the front cover of the book looks like:



Now in my opinion this isn't the best cover out there for this book, there are a lot more beautiful covers out there, but I think this one still does the book justice in its own way.

The story is told by young Micheal, having reluctantly moved to a new house on Falconer Road.
Now moving house is stressful, but Micheal and his family an awful lot more to worry about: their new baby was born early, and is fighting for her life in hospital.

Micheal, fearing for his new sisters life and feeling neglected by his parents, finds a new friend in Mina, a girl being home-schooled by her mother across the road.
But she isn't the only friend he finds on Falconer Road..

One day, after getting into another argument with his distressed parents, Micheal goes exploring into the old, crumbling garage that may fall in at any moment.

One things for certain. What he discovers in there will change in life forever.

Is it human? Or is it a beast no one had discovered yet? It looks ancient, apparently surviving this long on the food of the Gods: Chinese takeaway numbers 27 and 53 and brown ale. Whatever it is, it has some suspicious looking bulges under its shoulder blades..

Skellig is as fantastic as I thought it would be. It is brilliantly, brilliantly written. You get sucked into the story with such an ease, and it flows like a wave, you never get bored, or stop caring. Quite the opposite! You start caring an awful lot for the characters and what happens to them becomes one of the most important things ever.

Because I had read My Name is Mina prior to reading this book, Mina instantly became my favourite character (I would strongly recommend you read My Name is Mina before Skellig actually, it just ties in so well with it, and gives you more knowledge of some things that happen in the book too, and of course Mina is a outstanding character!)  But the rest of the characters are also beautifully written, so much so that you can actually feel Micheal pain, fear and wonder. Almonds writing talent really shows with this book.

Almond deserves so many awards for this book, I really have no words to describe how outstanding this book is, whether you are a boy or a girl (I don't think this book is aimed at a particular sex and I think it is written for quite a wide age group. Also it is quite a short book, only 170 pages long.) Please read this book so you can experience the absolute magic it is yourself. I cannot recommend it enough. I give this book a very big 9/10 and will be buying my own copy.


The one flaw with this book is that there is no sequel! I need a follow up asap please!


Well this book was an absolute joy to read, and I will most definitely be reviewing more David Almond books in the future, so look out for those if you're a fan of his!


Thanks so much for reading, I hope you enjoyed!
W-O-W xoxoxo
Sorry if there are any grammar mistakes, bad spelling e.c.t. Please let me know in a comment so I can fix it! and comments & follows are hugs<3

2 comments:

  1. Hi Chloe,
    Your blog is fab! Really well done!
    Skellig is one of my fave books too - and My Name is Mina.

    I'd be honoured if you'd review one of my books and put it on your blog.

    Lots of love to you,

    Kate xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kate,
    Thankyou ever so much, that means an awful lot coming from you! :)
    and I will definitely review one of your books soon, as they are amazing! <3
    Lots of love to you too,
    Chloe xxx

    ReplyDelete