Pages

Saturday, 21 January 2012

Daylight Saving - Edward Hogan review!

This is my sixth review for the BBC! :)

Daylight Saving is a book which I was privledged enough to recieve after being one of the 'early bird' reviewers this month. A huge thanks to Kirsty and Walker Books for sending me the book before it is officially published (which is Feb. 2nd if you were wondering) I feel honoured :)

This is what the front cover of the book looks like:


Now I think this is an absolutely beautiful cover, it really adds a feel of mystery to the story (which really works.) Its really just beautifully done, its simple, but not too bland. Its very well done, I love it. The colours are great too!

When Daniel Lever accompanies his dad to the Leisure World Holiday Complex for some time out after being expelled from school, he expectations are low. That is, until he meets the mysterious Lexi, the girl defies the rules by swimming in the man-made lake. The girl who knows an awful lot about history. The girl whose injuries get worse everytime they meet.

The girl whose watch ticks backwards.

As the end of British Summer Time gets ever more closer, Daniel knows he has to do something, and fast.

Their time is running out.

Daylight Saving is a very well written book. To say that it is quite short book (each chapter is just a few pages long) it holds a superb story within it.

Hogan is a great writer, you'll soon be swimming along in the outstanding whirlpool that is Daylight Saving. He has the makings of being a fabulous author, as his writing style is wondeful, as it quickly sweeps you up into the fast pased waters.
Daniel and Lexi are very real characters, and you soon start to feel their emotions, their experiences also seem very realistic (which at some points in the story isn't always pleasant) and really to start to hope that they survive the end of the book. (I'm not going to spoil anything for you though! You'll have to read the book to find out, which I strongly suggest you do.)

All in all, the you can tell this book has been cared and that Hogan has spent a lot of time making sure that the plot is just right, which really shows. I applaud him for the outstanding plot which is concealed inside the cover of the book, but again, no spoilers! Please check out the book on Feb. 2nd!

But this isn't a book for younger, or quite sensitive readers. This is a very big thriller as some points in the book the story gets very emotional, and very scary. The part where you find out about Lexi's past really shocked me, but I do believe it was written in the right way, and that Hogan handled the different sensitive subjects in the book very well, which is a great skill to have.
So because I would rate this book 14+. But this is just my opinion.

This book really impressed me, expect there was one really disappointing flaw that really dampened my enjoyment of the book, and can really dampen my opinion of any other book for that matter.
The negative use of retard.
Being a disabled person myself, you must understand that the negative use of the word retard (or spastic) in a good book really, really upsets me in so many ways.
But I will not expand on this now.

So apart from the disappointing part mentioned above, the book is outstanding and I hope Edward Hogan becomes a successful author, because after reading Daylight Saving he does deserve it.

Thanks for reading!
W-O-W xoxoxo
Sorry if there are any grammar mistakes, bad spelling e.c.t. Please let me know in a comment so I can fix it! and comments & follows are hugs<3 This is all my opinion. Please no negative comments because of my opinion expressed in these reviews. Thankyou! xoxoxo

2 comments:

  1. This sounds like a really interesting book and I look forard to getting a hold of it after Feb!
    Caroline

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is a great book and I'm sure you'll enjoy it! :)
      Thanks for commenting!
      W-O-W xoxo

      Delete